All School Councils in Victoria operate under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006. Each School Council is established by an Order of the Minister for Education, which specifies the Council’s membership, size and configuration, its objectives, powers, functions and accountabilities and the role of its executive officer who is the principal. The School Council has particular functions in setting and monitoring the school’s direction.
School Councils have three main responsibilities:
- Finance – overseeing the development of the school’s annual budget and ensuring proper records are kept of the school's financial operation
- Strategic Planning – participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan
- Policy Development and Review – developing, reviewing and updating policies that reflect a school’s values and support the school’s broad direction outlined in its strategic plan
Other key functions of School Councils include:
- raising funds for school-related purposes
- maintaining school grounds and facilities
- entering into contracts
- reporting annually to the school community and the Department
- representing and taking the views of the community into account
- regulating and facilitating after-hours use of school premises and grounds
Our sub-committees and working parties assist Council to complete the work that needs to be done. They report regularly at School Council, provide assistance and make recommendations to school council.
All members of the community are welcome to attend sub-committee meetings. By attending these meetings, the community can actively participate in supporting the continued growth of Moonee Ponds West Primary School.
Kerri Simpson (Principal Acting)
School Council Secretary
Ben Atchison | Simone Beever | Lee Cath | Louise Evans | Nigel Keegan | Lisa Shaw | Jarrod Smith
Helen Lockart | Vicki McCormack | Alyena Mohummadally| Kerri Simpson | Vacant
Junior School Council (JSC)
The JSC has two representatives from each classroom in the school. They are voted by their class mates. It is a vital component of our school's student voice.
The group meet on a fortnightly basis to discuss varying topics.
These may include: feedback on programs, policy development, fundraising etc. Each class's representatives report back to their classroom after each meeting.
Minutes from the JSC are presented as part of the School Council's meeting.
School Council documents
- School Council Standing Orders 2017
- School Council Code of Conduct Policy 2017
- School Council Communication And Engagement Working Group 2017
- School Council Induction Policy
- Education Sub Committee Terms Of Reference and Code Of Conduct 2017